Sunday, December 16, 2012

FAQ


So...Antarctica? Really?

Yep! Mindy is going to the land of ice and snow. And penguins.

Um, why?

Because it's there? No? OK. She's going as part of a Geological Society of America expedition to Antarctica.

But doesn't Mindy hate cold?

If by "hate cold", you mean desperately seeks a mean temperature at or above 80 degrees, then yes. Hence the witty URL. But hey, it's summer in Antarctica, so no problem!

How long will she be gone?

Long enough for me to blog about it without it getting old.

How is she getting there?

A converted Russian scientific vessel that now does eco-tourism. Seems legit, right? On the plus side, the ship has a sauna.  You can read more about the ship in the links.

So how do you blog from Antarctica?

Ah, you've found the flaw in our cunning plan. Since Verizon has yet to come up with ice floe-mounted cell towers, everything has to go via satellite phone. So Mindy will write text emails and send them to me, and I'll post them here.

Can we send replies to Mindy?

Not at $2 an email. Sorry. But you can post comments here, and I'll roll them into a daily email to her.

I found this blog through a random Internet search. Who is Mindy and who are you?

You clearly have too much time on your hands. We're both doctoral students - Mindy does sustainability, and I do learning technologies.  Hence, she's the one saving the world and I'm the one running the blog.

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading about your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mindy, I wish you the best of luck! As your classmate at West Point, I would like you to recall snowmageddon 1.0 of parent's week when all of the upperclassmen (to include your beloved husband) were soaking up the rays in Cancun. Are you sure you really want to do this?
    I commend you on this and on your commitment to our environment. The world needs more folks like the Kimballs around. After your absence, I am sure Daniel will say the world needs more Kimballs around that know how to cook. Have fun and make a snow angel for all of us. Hope to see some pics of your adventure.
    Todd Scattini

    ReplyDelete